Thursday, July 30, 2020

Lamplight to Limelight, an author's journey #writer memoir #writing tips #mining your heritage as a writer

Do you have a cherished dream? Read on.

 

 A dear friend recently said, “You need to write a book sharing your writing career, from learning to read by kerosene lamplight, to becoming a full-time, award-winning author. It will inspire readers.”

 

As far back as I can remember, I had two dreams. (1) Write books. (2) Be remembered as someone who made a difference. What better way to do this, than by reliving my decades-long journey to authorship—a journey of joy despite many setbacks and disappointments.
 Laughter, tears, and humor mark each step of the way

A small girl’s vow: “Someday I am going to write a book.”
·                 A seemingly impossible dream.
·            A town that grew trees, not authors.
·               A determined child.
A 17-year-old’s vow: "I am going to write a book this summer."
·              A turning point.
A 40-year-old’s decision: “I am going to start a book now.”
    A heart-breaking beginning.
    A lesson learned.
    A window opens.
 An 84-year-old woman’s promise: "I shall continue to write books."
·               A new and exciting challenge.



       Now available on Kindle. Coming soon in paperback with bonus title.


Lamplight to Limelight by [Colleen L. Reece] 
Countdown to Christmas, Making Holidays Meaningful, Co-authored with Julie Reece-DeMarco.

Heart-warming stories and suggestions for activities designed to bring families closer to our Lord and one another while preparing for Christmas during Advent.



    My Author Page
h


 
J  





7 comments:

judy said...

REVIEW: "I love to find out what gets writers started, how they cope with disappointments and setbacks, what advice they pass along to others. Author Colleen L. Reece's latest book, LAMPLIGHT TO LIMELIGHT, is both a heartfelt memoir and a how-to. She shares as if you're sitting with her over a cup of tea while she talks of her influences and values, successes and failures. I especially enjoyed excerpts of her early writing, from a contest entry to a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys tribute to the opening words of her first published romance novel. The daughter of a small-town logger and a one-room schoolhouse teacher, Ms. Reece learned to read and write by lamplight. Eighty years later, about half of them as a full-time writer drawing on her past for inspiration, she's in an excellent position to encourage other writers to mine their heritage for the stories people want to read."

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

Wow! This is wonderful. I believe many people will enjoy learning about you in this autobiography. Congratulations, Colleen!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

This is a delightful book and full of good advice, too. I like the way you interspersed biographical stories with helpful writing hints.
Thanks for writing this, Colleen.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Judy, Linda, and Sandy. I thoroughly enjoyed writing this.

Unknown said...

Colleen, you have led an amazing and successful life and inspired so many people. Such wonderful memories I have of you.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thank you, Unknown. Yes, God has given me the life He knew would make me the happiest and most productive. I am so thankful.

Unknown said...

Colleen,

This is absolutely wonderful and certainly encouraging in all the things so many of us are going through.

My heart was so encouraged by reading them and planting the treasured lessons in my mind and heart.

Lots going on for so many of us. But God is far greater.

Thank you again for your writings of encouragement and faith.

Much love,

Anita Donihue :)