Friday, March 3, 2017

Meet Anita Corrine Donihue

Answering the Call 

 

In 1992, Anita Corrine Donihue, a pastor's wife, came to my college writing class. She had no thought of publication, but felt strongly called to write a book of prayers . . . and vowed to do what seemed impossible. A para-educator by day, she wrote on Jack In the Box place mats and napkins when on break at her second job, went home and wrote from 2 to 4 a.m. 

I believed in Anita and told her to ignore scoffers who said she could never write a book: "Treat writing as a third job so you will have time to write."

I was also so impressed with Anita's writing ability and determination that I used her to co-author a gift book. Apples for a Teacher sold over a million copies. We did two more gift books, then I encouraged her to contact our publisher, Barbour Books, about her devotional. 

One Sunday Pastor Bob gave out change to the congregation and asked, "What are you doing with your talents for God?" After four years of writing and polishing, Anita took her two quarters and bought stamps for a query letter. When I'm on My Knees became an award-winning best-seller. Note: When Anita received her contract, she framed two quarters as a reminder to always use her talents for the Lord!

 

Many other prayer and devotional books followed. Sales have reached more than two million. Her best advice for writers is simple: "Be obedient to God and keep writing."

* * *

Two of Anita's ever-popular titles are Glimpses of God's Grace and her Power Prayers Devotional (Cover is actually a beautiful tan and rose). 

 

Great things do happen when we are on our knees. Just ask Anita, whose motto is, "Writing to Inspire."

 

She does.  

 

Glimpses of God's Grace

 Power Prayers Devotional

 

11 comments:

judy said...

Congratulations on your persistence, Anita. Nice feature, Colleen. Each published writer's path is surely as unique as the writer herself. I say "herself" only, because today happens to be International Women's Day (:

Janice Clark said...

Anita never ceases to amaze and inspire me. Sometimes we jokingly refer to her as an "energizer bunny" but I know she recharges frequently with prayer, as well as occasionally coming to my house for a restful retreat. I was privileged to co-author a book with her.

Colleen L. Reece said...

I am so glad she just had time at your place.Bob just fell and broke his arm in two places so more stress for them both. Having had a respite is good.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Yes. There is no one size fits all for writers!

Unknown said...

I brought the 365 daily devotional Journal called: Glimpses of God’s Grace........I’m using it along with my Bible on a daily base for spiritual food and a punch in the face to that ole mean devil. I’m blessed by it.

Unknown said...

I'm reading I'm on my knees devotions & prayers for women. It's been a blessing in these trials and pandemic. Thank you for your faithfulness.
May God bless you and keep you!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thank you, Unknown. I will pass on to my friend and former student Anita.

Unknown said...

I continue to read and be blessed by Anita's Glimpses of God's Grace. Have worked through it each day repeatedly for three years,along with God's word and a Max Lucado devotional. She is such an inspiration and her prayers certainly inspired by our Lord

Unknown said...

I just startedvreadung When I'm Praising God. I love it already and cant wait to buy one for my sister and read her other books

Unknown said...

I found and bought Thank You Lord from a book rack at a local grocery store. As I began to read, I knew immediately this devotional came to me through God's divine working. I was do encouraged! I identified with her prayer style and the situations she prays about. I too have worked as a Life Skills and Employability Skills facilitator. I like to write acronym notes at the end of especially affirming daily devotional readings, such as Thank you Lord Jesus!TYLJ!❤️. I'm close to age 70 so this was an age appropriate devotional for me. My book is ragtag from being read in the garden when I sit down for a break and a cool drink of water. My book got left out and wet, but I saved it by drying it over a heat register. Now I am trying to find more copies to give to older friends; other prayer warriors. Thank you Anita for your mentoring through your books! A reader from a tiny village in Saskatchewan, Canada.

Anonymous said...

How do i donate?