Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Counting My Blessings #Thanksgiving#Gratitude#God'sgifts#Family#Friends



Not long ago a dear friend mentioned that she did a Facebook post thanking various persons who were important to her. Thank you, Sandy. It inspired me to "go and do likewise," by following the Biblical admonition to give thanks in everything.

In the song "Count Your Blessings," Perry Como and other performers relate how being thankful for what they have instead of focusing on what they don't have lets them fall asleep "counting their blessings instead of sheep."

I often feel that I am of all people, most blessed. God has given me a wonderful family who laugh, cry, and pray together. A home filled with peace and welcome for all who enter its doors, large enough for all my needs, but small enough to keep (reasonably😊) clean.

Caring friends and neighbors. Someone to clean my roof (Rawhide and Diane).  A tree service to feed and spray my lawn--I still run my little 14" cordless electric mower weekly (it takes about 45 minutes). Since the demise of my much-loved little 1990 station wagon last December, there has always been someone to transport me to Classy Writers' critique group, grocery shopping, etc. Anita Donihue stops by almost every Friday.  



Unexpected help when needed. I can't handle the huge yard waste wheeled bins. This week in addition to my 3 allotted cans, I had a fleet of biodegradable sacks filled with packed-down maple leaves. My across-the-street neighbor dumped five containers in his big commercial container. My collection guy noticed the remaining six and hoisted them into his truck. A small kindness, but a blessing. 


New venture. Good friend, mentoree, and former student, Renee Riva, helps promote me as an author and review my books on Amazon. She even listed my blog address on her Amazon Author Page. She is now putting her books into audio--it's free through ACX (Audible Creation Exchange)--and is teaching me how to do mine. Renee recommended her narrator; we will be working together. All I do is list books at the site, fill in required info., and they take it from there. They sell to Audible, Amazon, and iTunes, collect royalties and send monthly checks to author and narrator. 
 
First in what hopefully will become many audio titles are the ROMANCE QUARTET titles,
 

Random blessings. The maples  in my yard are almost through shedding but there are still gorgeous leaves on the trees across my back fence. On even the rainy and gray days, there has been an hour or more nice enough to rake and prune, or get in a good walk. The air is fresh. The neighbors are friendly. It is a good place to live. 

E-mails keep me in touch with those I cherish. TV stations featuring old-time programs offer entertainment. Bookshelves filled with favorite titles (many from childhood/YA years) silently ask to be reread. A winter stockpile of used books such as the Mystery and the Minister's Wife series purchased through Amazon at ridiculously low prices wait their turn. And mugs of spiced cider from Trader Joe's plus fleecy lap blankets promise many happy hours.

A verse from old hymn, "He Leadeth Me," expresses my gratitude for continuing blessings. 

"Lord, I would clasp my hand in Thine, 
Nor ever murmur nor repine.
Content whatever lot I see,
Since 'tis my God that leadeth me."


 
 
Wishing you the joy of the season,

Colleen 



ROMANCE QUARTET

6 comments:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

When I stop to count my blessings, I'm delighted at how many come to mind. Like you, I'm grateful for the Classy Writers group and my relationships with other fellow writers. Friends, family, health ... the list of good things is huge!
Best of luck with your venture into audio books. Something new to learn, and that's always fun. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Apologies to any followers who saw the comment I just deleted. I made the mistake of not previewing as usual. Ouch.

Renee, nice to hear I am not only a blessing in your life, but a "blasting." As in, "Blast off, gal, and get more books out there."

Sandy, I always so appreciate your taking the time to comment. It means a lot.

judy said...

So glad for your blessings, Colleen! And the new venture into audio books sounds very interesting. Wishing you all the best on that. And HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Judy. I will keep you posted on the audiobooks. Have been too busy so far to do anything but arrange for a narrator which was easy as my friend sent me to hers.

Janice Tinto said...

This is an inspirational blog for me. Thank you and I do need to count my blessings even though Jim won't be here for Thanksgiving.
I think of you often and our good times together.

Much love,
Janice

Colleen L. Reece said...

You are always in my heart and prayers, Janice. So many wonderful memories. You and Terry are the only ones left with whom I can share our Darrington family days. So many great times together. I know the upcoming holidays will be hard. When our loved ones go on ahead, the "firsts" are the most difficult. I am just thankful the Reece clan learned to be survivors and accept that life does go on.
Colleen