Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Happy Valentine's Day! #St/ Valentine/Legend of St. Valentine/

Valentine's Day Origin--Fact or fiction

 

 There are many legends about how Valentine's Day traditions began. One of the most popular is that a priest in the 3rd century was imprisoned for marrying Christian couples in spite of being commanded not to do so. According to the story, children sent notes of encouragement  and established the practice of sending cards and gifts on Valentine's Day.


💖

The only D grade I ever received was in Art. Years later when an editor asked me to send rough sketches for a children's book illustration, the best I could do was draw a triangle and write the word "tepee" next to it!

 Valentine's Day was the exception. When teachers passed out red construction paper, white paper doilies, blunt scissors, and paste (which some of the kids ate--I did not) I rejoiced and hoped I'd be chosen to help decorate the frilly class valentine box with crinkled red crepe paper and cut out hearts.

 

 Next came the penny valentines and the expectation that every person would bring one for every other classmate. Decision time. Which valentine for which person? Now and then a valentine came with a penny sucker. Tiny message hearts abounded. 





High school brought candy bars and sometimes a beribboned box of chocolates. 





Valentine hops occasionally meant a corsage to complement a fluffy dress over well-starched petticoats that swirled when doing the schottische, polka or Virginia Reel.


Today when I came back up the driveway from my mailbox, I noticed something beside my front door. I'd slept later than usual today so it must have been put there when the kids gathered in front of my place wait for the bus. A little pot with a purple primrose  and a white card with love in gold on the front.Inside it said Happy Valentines Day! X0X0. Love Abigail in childish letters. 

It's the same family I wave to (two small girls, a little older boy, a mom or dad) and call, "Have a happy day!" when they wait for the bus going or coming. They brought cookies at Christmas and a little pot of violas that bloomed all summer in a container by my front door. last year, I think at Easter.
 Happy Valentines Day!!!  

Colleen















3 comments:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

What a delightful Valentine's Day surprise! Thanks for sharing the history of this holiday.

judy said...

Lovely reflections. Happy V-Day, Colleen! <3

Colleen L. Reece said...

I appreciate your comments, Sandy and Judy. Reminiscing is so fun. One of our greatest gifts is the gift of memories.