Saturday, November 3, 2018

A Thankful Heart #Thanksgiving #November





Image result for google images, free clipart, Thanksgiving 

Halloween ends. November arrives. An orange plastic pumpkin filled with silk flowers and leaves in fall colors appears on the table by my front window. A small velvet turkey and a large turkey pillow adorn my living room. I am ready to celebrate Thanksgiving.

  

Why?  I have too many blessings for just one day. The decorations remind me to give thanks every day, not just on the official holiday. The adornments will stay up until the day after Thanksgiving, then be replaced with Christmas decorations. 

 

Stretching the Season

 

Forty years ago when Mom and I moved here, we put our Christmas decorations up on December 1st, the only ones in our neighborhood to do so. The next year, others did the same. Now homes often sparkle with Christmas cheer and light up the November gloom even before Thanksgiving. (I hold off on lighting the stars in my windows until December 1st.)

Image result for google images, free clipart, Christmas decoration stars

    

Johnson Oatman, Jr. wrote a hymn in 1897 that offers encouragement for today's chaotic world as well.


"When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed, When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, Count your many blessings, name them, one by one, And it will surprise you what the Lord has done."

 

Perry Como sang of picturing curly heads snuggled in their beds, and thinking of no bank roll when it is getting small, then  falling asleep counting his blessings.

 

I have a myriad of blessings. A modest, but lovely home. Strength for today. Hope for tomorrow. A dependable car. Food on the table. A warm bed. And a gazillion huge debris containers of raked and stuffed-down maple leaves and shrub prunings collected in the past few weeks!

 

What a blessing to be able to keep up my home and yard. (At 83, I still mow the lawn with my 14" cordless electric mower). 

 

Most of all, I am thankful for "Three Fs"

Faith. Family. Friends.

 

May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving season. Consider stretching the holiday by decorating early and finding something to be thankful for every day. It works!

 

Seasonal Reads: Sisters in Time #1 & #2

 

High adventure in early America.


8 comments:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Lovely post. I've been enjoying my Thanksgiving/autumn decorations, too -- fabric pumpkins in a basket in my living room, a leaf-appliqued runner on the table in the dining room, an autumn-hued wreath on the front door, in addition to the bright shades of turning leaves all around town. It's a good time of year to stop and count our blessings. I count your friendship among them.

judy said...

Cozy post, Colleen. Super comment, Sandy (:

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Sandy and Judy--I am proud and happy to have you as wonderful friends! Smile.

judy said...

How lovely! Thank you with big smile.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Glad you like. Happy Thanksgiving. I will be going to Julie's.

judy said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Colleen! We'll be with Dennis's brother's family for the day. Memories of my grandmother and the family that gathered around her make this my favorite holiday. That and pumpkin pie (:

Robin said...

I am truly pleased to glance at this website posts which carries plenty of useful information, thanks for providing such statistics.
Best Thanksgiving Side Dishes , Thanksgiving Wishes 2019

Colleen L. Reece said...

I appreciate your comment, Robin. thank you!