Saturday, December 22, 2018

A Long Time Coming #Christmas Wishes #Christmas Dreams



  

NEWS FLASH:  

Former Student Fulfills Decades-Old Christmas Wish

 

Image result for Public domain Christian ClipArt, Christmas angel, childChristmas in my home town (Darrington WA) meant school and church programs scheduled so folks  could attend as many as possible. Most memorable is when the Methodist Church had a bevy of teen girls in angel robes with tinsel in their hair. Singing, they marched into the chapel that was lighted only by the candles they carried. 


At that moment, a dream to be an angel was born in my childish heart. If only I could be the one to say, "Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God," then tell her she had been chosen to be the mother of Jesus.

Each year when Christmas pageants were cast, the heart inside my tall, skinny body thundered with anticipation. Would this be the Christmas for my dream to come true? December after December I fought tears when a dainty blond was chosen. At last I accepted reality. I would never be an angel in a white robe. I would never wear tinsel in my hair. I would never march up a church aisle singing and carrying a candle. Or tell Mary the Good News.

Years passed. At yet another pageant, understanding came. I had never been an angel, but God had called me to write for Him . . . including the current play, "Christmas on Trial." Even now, my beloved blond niece was beginning her announcement. "Fear not, Mary . . ." Her clear voice bought a rush of tears--and healing I had not known I still needed.

Epilogue

 

For the past few years, our Classy Writers critique group (formed when I no longer taught classes: all members are former students) has a Christmas potluck luncheon. Yesterday one of the ladies read a heartfelt tribute thanking me for helping her and others with writing and friendship. Before I could wipe away tears of surprise and joy, she began taking items from a large bag. A floor-length white gown.  A tinsel halo. Gorgeous sparkly angel wings. 

"You never got to be an angel," she said. "Now you are. And you do."




An angel at 83
The priceless gift brought more tears.

Some dreams never come true. Mine did. Not when I was a child. Or teen. At eighty-three years of age. It means more to me than it would have if I'd been chosen for an angel role. The love and caring that flows from Patti and the others repays me a thousandfold for anything I've given.



Marge, Sandy, Colleen, Patti, Diane at Melanie's home


                                                                                      
Marge, Melanie, Colleen, Patti, Diane            Patti made it happen.


"Never an Angel" and 20 other stories from Colleen's childhood. 
 

Storybook House

 

13 comments:

judy said...

Wonderful! What a fabulous present, Ms. Angel. The robe and halo look just right on you. Great gift, Classy Writers. Merry Christmas, one and all.

Colleen L. Reece said...

I will never forget sitting there hearing that I do make a difference in people's lives. As you know, that is important to me. Thanks, Judy. I continue to smile . . .

judy said...

Yes, indeed. A huge difference in many, many people's lives. Smile on (:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I am so lucky to be part of such a loving and talented group of women. Thank you for being our angel, Colleen.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Uh-oh, getting misty again. But thanks! You all know what you mean to me.

Renee Riva said...

I was lying in bed at 2am unable to sleep and remembered that I hadn't read your blog yet, so ran downstairs and grabbed my phone. Climbing back into bed, I read your angel story and saw these priceless pictures. I'm ready to drift off now with a smile and images of my earthly angel who helped me to become a writer. You have earned your wings! So happy for you. Sweet dreams. :)

Unknown said...

I am glad you lived your dream. I came here to see if there were any new posts.
You are an angel.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Renee and Kayla . . . you made my day. Meeting with family at 1 to celebrate Christ's birth with food, fun, and fellowship. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Iris said...

Colleen, when we were "face to face" over the years, you were always an inspiration to me. Through you books you have continued to be an inspiration;
even more, I think of you writing (talking) to me through your words. Now, I read them to the grandkids and am so proud that we are sisters in Christ and kin by blood. They think it is cool, too. Merry Christmas. Love, Iris

Colleen L. Reece said...

What a wonderful comment, Iris. Oh, but we go back decades. You are one of the few Darrington-days persons with whom I keep in touch. Janice and Terry, as well. I think about and dream about those days.

Thanks for your heartfelt message. I am (as the little boy said) "smiling all over my face."

Have a wonderful Christmas Day. We celebrated at Camille's yesterday. Hard to believe Randy's nine grandkids now range from 8 to second year in college! How come they get older and we don't?????

IT said...

I like your post very much. It is very much useful for my research. I hope you to share more info about this. I found more amazing Wishes here Merry Christmas Wishes

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thank you, Siva. I love doing the posts.

Greetings Mag said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.