Sunday, March 31, 2019

Stepping Stones to Authorship #Writing

Want to capitalize on what you already know? Read on . . .

 

My favorite author, Emilie Loring, dedicated one of her highly-popular books to a friend who helped her on the "rocky road to authorship." An apt phrase.

One of my most-loved scriptures is Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV): "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

My road to authorship has had more turns and twists than a mountain trail. Yet each seemingly-unrelated-turn became another step forward toward my becoming a full-time, self-supporting author.


Early summer 1952, Darrington, Washington

Sixteen-and-a-half, I had just graduated from high school and was doing housework in my striped shorty pajamas
Knock-knock. Someone at the front door. No use running for my bedroom. The grade and high school principals smiling through the window had already seen me. I hoped they would think I was just wearing a shorts outfit.

"What are you going to do now that you've graduated?" Mr. Lewis, my high school principal, wanted to know once the men were inside and seated.

"Take a post-grad course at the high school in typing," I said. "I was too busy taking courses so I can enter nurse's training when I am eighteen to learn to type."

He beamed. "Perfect. We want you to work part-time as our office girl. The one we hired a year ago is quitting."

Ten minutes later I was hired at $60 a month before  deductions. But I'd been busted. Mr. Ireland, the irrepressible grade school principal, laughed and said, "You'll need to wear something other than Pajamas!" I did--and started my first job. After two years I left for nurse's training but decided it wasn't for me so attended business college, worked a few months as a bank messenger, then got my old job back at the school and stayed until the summer of 1970.

Enrollment grew until the superintendent needed me half-days. I started a student office girls' training program. A rotation schedule gave me mornings to teach office skills. Twelve girls participated each year. Two Sophomores, Patsy Adams and Karen Tollenaar, stayed in the program through their senior year. A junior and senior served for each of the other periods; the seniors taught the juniors what they had learned the previous year.

Eventually, my job evolved into full-time for the superintendent. The new secretary  dropped the program that had allowed "my girls" to step into jobs such as secretary at the grade school, the local bank, etc. I was saddened. Those young women had shared hopes, dreams, and lives with me and gone on to use what they learned. Some still keep in touch. 

* * *

Mom and I left Darrington in 1970. My bookkeeping, supervising, handling visitors, helping prepare schedules and budgets, and screening applicants, plus familiarity with government programs, opened doors. The ability to plan and execute plans gave me entry into Vancouver WA School Personnel, the VA Hospital, and Bonneville Power. After moving to Auburn in 1978, I relied on those early skills to prepare lesson plans for my community college and Senior Center writing classes, handle my own income tax preparation, etc. My former desire to become a nurse gave me a wealth of information when writing nurse and hospital-related novels.

One of my students sighed and said, "The road to becoming an author is really hard." She smiled and added, "But where else can you find so much wonderful scenery along the way?"



Image result for google images, free clipart, bend in road I had plans for my life. Most never came to pass.

God had different  plans for my life. They unfolded when I was ready to discern and accept them. He gave me hope and a future in ways so unexpected that I still find myself amazed, and overwhelmed with gratitude. 

I have no idea what lies around the next bend in the road. Or over the next hill. Yet I feel assured the best is still to come . . . and I am ready, willing, and eager to find out.

Nothing learned needs to be lost.


12 comments:

judy said...

Good post, Colleen. It appears that your other plans gave way to the real hope and dream of your life--to become an author.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Yes, and I am so glad! Thanks, Judy.

Dace Pedecis said...

Another post your fans will love. You've done so much in your life, Colleen. It's obvious that your path led you the way your were supposed to go.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Dace. Yes, the path from "there" to "here" has been and continues to be amazing!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Thanks for sharing your pathway to becoming a successful author. Your story gives hope to aspiring writers.

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

It was nice getting to know you on a different level, rather than being an author only. Thank you so much.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Sandy, and Linda. Ive been in a "reminiscing" mood lately!

Unknown said...

Colleen,

As always, this is so nice and very inspiring.

Much love sent your way.

Anita :)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your Bible verse and story. God's plan is perfect. So many times He had an answer to my question before I knew I even had a question.

Marcia

Colleen L. Reece said...

Yes, Marcia. He sure does that!

Ana said...

Colleen, I am a new reader to your lovely writings. Just getting bored for some busy working days, my heart got thirst to have some fun and something interesting and inspiring. Scrolling my mouse pointer down on the browser I discovered your amazing story. The experiences your shared really very touching and inspiring. There are various types of work or profession in this world. I would like to classified in two ways 1. for leading the prominent life and the 2 is passionate with the heart. Of course the second is weaponized with some incomparable and creativity. And no doubt it's instinctive too. Here you expressed an awesome example of touching one's desired goal. Anyway, here I would like to draw your kind allow to put sites that related to women's occupation 여우알바 유흥알바 just inspiring the world's women to be self-reliance. Finally I honestly appreciate your brilliant writings and of course for sharing it for us.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks for your comments, Ana. I am happy to share what it took years to learn. SMILE.