Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Someone's in the Kitchen #Cooking up Sales #Finding and Filling a Niche




What could be sweeter than cooking up something wonderful with your grandchild? Celebrate the gift of good food and grandparenthood in this collection of recipes, wisdom, and tips from grandmas like you.

Meet Lydia E. Harris, who loves to develop and test recipes with her grandchildren. She is also the author of Preparing My Heart for Grandparenting: For Grandparents at Any Stage of the Journey. She earned her master’s in Home Economics at the University of Washington, where she met her husband, Milt. They have been married for more than 50 years and enjoy spending time with their two married children and five grandchildren.



“When, why, and how did you start writing? 
 What was your first sale?”

“I always joked with my two children that some day I would write a book. Years later, I sensed God's nudge to write. I joined Northwest Christian Writers Association, became part of a critique group, and attended writers’ conferences.

"At my first conference, the director suggested, 'Start with book reviews, devotionals, or Sunday school take-home papers.' Great advice. Writing reviews honed my skills, forced me to write tight, and gave me free books. I re-slanted many, sold them as reprints and accumulated 100+ bylines in eighteen months.
“Next came devotions and 'A Cup of Tea with Lydia' in The Country Register paper for the past 20 years. The column reaches 500,000 USA and Canadian readers. Stories and articles followed. In 2009, I began writing recipes for Pockets and Focus on the Family’s Clubhouse Jr., Clubhouse, and Brio.

“I am steeped in tea! My first sale? A book review to Tea and Sunshine. No money but a byline. The magazine is gone, but I am still friends with the editor!”

“What is your best advice for new writers?”

“Pray and form a prayer team to pray for you and your writing. We can write words, but only God can touch hearts.” My advice to writers is an acrostic:

A  If God nudges you to write, ACCEPT the call and begin.
S  STAY at your post and keep writing. Sixteen years ago, I was diagnosed with incurable cancer. I kept writing and have published two books since then.
A  ABIDE in prayer. Pray before you write, while you write, and after your writing is published. Then pray for God to touch the hearts of readers.
P  PUT on your rhino skin. It takes courage and perseverance to keep going when criticized by readers or when publishers reject your work.

< >https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Grandma-Stirring-Memories-Together/dp/073697587X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Lydia+HArris&qid=1558979899&s=books&sr=1-1

“Tell us about In the Kitchen with Grandma

“Food for the body and soul. Dozens of delicious recipes, including many gluten-free, that you and your grandchild will love making…and eating! More important, the opportunity to create lasting memories, and share your faith and life lessons with your special little helper.

“Each recipe is Grandma-tested and rated for difficulty. You’ll be inspired by select Scripture verses and get more great ideas for connecting with your grandkid. From Floating Frosty Snowmen in January to Peppermint Angel Cake in December, you and your grandchild will enjoy time in the kitchen year-round."

More information at: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/krvr/2019/04/22/lydia-harris-has-an-exciting-new-cookbook-for-grandmas'

Colleen shares. 
"My earliest special memories include Mom teaching me to cook as soon as I was old enough to perch on a stool by the kitchen counter. Our many recipe books ranged from a Watkins volume to a battered 1924 Sauk Prairie collection featuring the best of my hometown (Darrington, Washington) cooking skills.  (We added the Betty Crocker Cookbook later.)
In the Kitchen with Grandma would have been a delightful addition.
Fun, informative, and unique, nourishment for the heart and stomach.

Thanks, Lydia, for this delightful new title!
* * *

Enter to win a free autographed cookbook from Lydia by sharing a cooking tip. After August 20 we will draw one lucky winner, and she will mail you a copy of In the Kitchen with Grandma.

Lydia's Amazon Author page


In the Kitchen with Grandma is also available through Christianbook.com, barnesandnoble.com, and HarvestHouse Publishers.com.







15 comments:

Lydia Harris (aka Grandma Tea) said...

Thanks, Colleen, for featuring me. I'm not entering to win my own cookbook, but I want to share a tip. My grandkids like to crack the eggs for recipes when we cook together. I have them crack the egg above a custard cup or other small container in case some of the shell falls in. Then we remove the shell before adding the egg to the recipe.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Sounds like a lovely book. Thank you for sharing.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Good tip, Lydia. Nice that you remove the shell--ha ha!
Thanks, for comment, Sandy. Fun book.

Dace Pedecis said...

Oh, my. Things I never imagined.Thanks for sharing.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Lydia made an art of filling a niche. And still does.

Joan Husby said...

So glad to see you're still in the game, Colleen. What a lovely website! And thanks for sharing Lydia's book. Wish we still had youngsters in the family. They're all better cooks than I am now!

Lydia Harris (aka Grandma Tea) said...

Thanks for your comment Joan. You're still in the game too. It's always nice to see you at writers' events. Happy writing.

Mary Hake said...

Lydia is a wonderful writer with a heart for others. Both her books are great, and I highly recommend them. I remember When Coleen shared at OCW years ago.

Lydia Harris (aka Grandma Tea) said...

Colleen continues to be an asset to many. She has lots of experience and wisdom to share.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Nice to hear from you, Joan and Mary. And thanks for the compliment, Lydia.

Jeanetta Chrystie said...

Lydia is a skilled (and degreed) home cook whose latest book "In The Kitchen With Grandma" is itself a delightful recipe for 'stirring up tasty memories' with the children in your life! I love the cute idea of using spoons to rate the difficulty levels of recipes, the menu suggestions, and tips for sharing your Christian faith with your grandchildren. The scripture verses at the beginning of each section could be used as memory verses.
Since it's summertime, I'm trying some of those recipes first. The Clamshell Tuna Sandwiches and Honeydew Canoes are cute and tasty. The Goin' Fishin' Snack Mix is yummy and handy. I've always struggled to make decent lemon curd and her recipe is easy and delicious. My favorite recipe so far is the Root Beer Float Cookie Sandwiches - Wow!

Lydia Harris (aka Grandma Tea) said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes you tried, Jeanetta. I made lemon curd and will serve it on the Scone Blossoms at a family tea time for ten tomorrow. It's sunny in Seattle, so we'll have our tea outdoors on the front lawn under a canopy of shady trees. Can't wait! I'll serve chicken salad in croissants. And this afternoon three grandkids are coming over to make the meat turnovers (shibercky) with me. Since they're a family favorite, they'll be a hit at our tea tomorrow. And oh yes, I also froze red, white, and blue ice cubes for the Patriotic Punch (a summer recipe). It's so refreshing on a hot day. And I love the Root Beer Float Cookie Sandwiches too. I first created those for Focus on the Family's Clubhouse magazine. I don't make them often, because I can't stop eating them. The Orange Creamsicle variation is tasty too.
I enjoy using my cookbook for my husband and me and also making the recipes with my grandkids. Happy cooking!

Jeanetta, thanks for sharing that good idea to memorize the verse at the beginning of each season.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Great comments, Jeanetta and Lydia.I especially like the red, white, and blue ice cube idea. It even sounds cool. GRIN.

Tami Meier said...

Would love to win a signed copy of your new book. Then I can give my copy as a gift. :) Blessings! Tami Meier

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Joan. They should love it!