Sunday, February 23, 2020

Home is Where the Heart is #Looking Back and at Now #Memories #Helping Others

Image result for Public domain Christian ClipArt, praying womanLooking for the Secret to Living? Read on.

At a young age, the prayer of a character in a favorite book so impressed me, that I later made it my own.

"Dear Lord, Please help me make a difference. I want the world to be a little better place because I lived. Thank You in Jesus' name, Amen."

God has granted that prayer over and over, often in totally unexpected ways--showing that the secret of living is giving. Jesus taught that when we serve others, we are serving Him.
 
After a week of glorious sunshine, today is a rainy, day in Auburn, Washington, my home for the past 42 years. The rain reminds me of Darrington, the small, never-to-be-forgotten Washington logging town where I was born and lived until I was 35. A town that cared for its own, that laughed, cried, and practiced prayer when disasters came. It still does. Trouble means helping one another, and rejoicing when the dark clouds move on.

Darrington days
As school secretary for 18 years, opportunities to serve others abounded. The teen years, even in the less-complicated world back then, are never easy.  Many times the girls in my student office girl program shared their heartbreak, needing someone to listen. We formed friendships that have spanned decades. I still hear from some of "my girls," many of whom later found jobs where they used skills they learned in the office girl program.

Years passed. Mom and I moved away, but never really "left" Darrington. I continued to serve others through writing inspirational books and teaching writing classes for the local community college and senior center. What a humbling experience to watch my students grow and to sell their work. Some have become best-selling authors. Others record family memories, a precious gift for generations to come.

When God closes a door, we often spend so much time staring at it and trying to kick it open, we don't see the window He has already opened. I found myself in that position the summer of 2012. A cancer diagnosis slammed the door to my teaching and speaking at conferences. How could I continue to serve others?

Windows opened following successful treatment. Dedicated students from my senior center class formed a critique group which I now attend. A blind young woman, who felt led to write, asked me to mentor her. She now has a book published. I am able to critique work for former students from my home.  Students from foreign countries who attend a nearby college stop by to visit. A young Hindu girl from Oman, has adopted me. When life overwhelms her, she comes to "Granny Colleen" for hugs and encouragement. 

Life at 84 is good. Brilliant sunlight now sparkles on the wet grass. It's time to go for my daily walk--another "open window." I seldom walk the neighborhood without stopping to visit with people I know, or get acquainted with those I don't, such as the couple from Zimbabwe, and the one from Kenya. They share their lives, their triumphs and losses. We are blessed. A young man I hadn't previously met came up to me recently and said, "You are such an inspiration to me! I see you out walking, always smiling. What makes you so happy?" I told him how old I was and that every day was a gift from God. He shared that a loved one had overcome cancer. We wept together for joy and gave thanks.

Doors to service I once gave remain closed. New windows open all the time. My prayer is still the same, to serve others. By expecting miracles, I am able to do what I always longed to do, make a difference.The need is great. As Mahalia Jackson said in an old song, 
Image result for google images, free clipart, open window 

"If I can help somebody, as I travel along
If I can help somebody, with a word or song
If I can help somebody, from doing wrong
My living shall not be in vain."

Have doors closed for you? Take a deep breath, turn away from them, and search for a window. Life can be new,
fresh,and worthwhile, as it is for me. Doors to service I once was able to give remain closed, but windows continue to open. I thank God.

Blessings, Colleen 

No comments: