Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Faith in Times of Trouble #Inspiraton #Encouraging Words



July 2012

The surgeon, oncologist, and radiation oncologist turned from the screen before them. One said, "This is not going to be a walk in the park."

The sense of humor that had served me well for almost 77 years kicked in. I stuck two thumbs in the air and said, "I am a woman of faith, a logger's daughter, and I am a  survivor!" My response showed the team I would work with them to obtain the best outcome possible. 


The same holds true for this 84-year-old woman in this present crisis. 

I am a woman of faith.
I am a logger's daughter.
I am a survivor.


I am also grounded, except to walk around my quiet, cul-de-sac neighborhood. No hugging neighbors.  No grocery shopping. No writer's critique group meetings.
Friends will bring food. Is it restricting for a free spirit like myself? Of course. Common sense? Necessary? Absolutely.

Our family is no stranger to tough times. Only by the grace of God did Mom survive her battle against the influenza horror of 1918-1920. Faith, making the most of what little they had, and yet managing to help others less fortunate, carried my parents  through the Great Depression and privations created by WW2. In 1952, It took sheer grit for Mom to attend my high school graduation, following a light case of polio.

* * *

A military commander sat alone in the midst of a great war. A new year would begin the next day, but what would it bring? More fighting that at times seemed pointless? The need for decisions when the commander no longer knew which way to advance? 

Image result for google images, free clipart, soldier prayingIn desperation, he cried out. "God, what shall I do? The battle is going badly. We're stuck here in the mud and cold. My men are sick and tired. They just want to go home. Please, God, give me light to know how to face this new year. It threatens to be darker than ever." 

For a long time, the only sounds were distant gunfire, mocking the discouraged officer. Then he seemed to hear a still, small voice whispering deep in his soul, Trust Me and walk with Me. It will be better than any light.

Encouraged, the commander lay down for a nap. After a short time, he rose, and led his soldiers to victory. 

 * * * 

Today we are engaged in a different kind of war, one unlike anything our generation has ever known. Yet, as with other tragedies, this too shall pass. Our part is to look toward that day. Words from the song "Great is Thy Faithfulness" ask for "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow." 


Star And Clouds


My prayer is that you may seek and find both.

Colleen

7 comments:

Chats with a Cheeky Old Broad said...

Amen and amen

think of those war years - people buckled down and did what they ahd to do. and did without a lot of things.

we can too

I am a Finn
I trust God
I am blessed, and thankful.
...and I'm been called a feisty old broad

Marilyn said...

My grandaughter Sara says ... don't mope, just cope and hope.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Great advice, Sara. You are one smart girl. Thanks for your comments, Marilyn.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your take on our current crisis. It adds to our good thoughts for the day.
Yesterday our staff here in Brighton Village (Colorado Senior Apts) knocked on the door and left two rolls of toilet paper. Thinking of you, Coralie

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks for your comments, Coralie. Tough times sure bring out people's goodness. Neighbors are checking on me, ready to bring groceries, etc. stay safe and well.

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

Your words touched my heart deeply. As I read your words to my husband... the words of a faithful and spiritual woman, I couldn't see the screen very well because I had to wipe the tears from my eyes off and on. Why did your words touch me? Because of who you are. A woman of faith. A woman who is a great example to me. The logger's daughter and a survivor. Thank you, dear friend.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Now it is I who is sniffling from your tender comments, Linda. In these tough times, when someone shows kindness or appreciation, it is especially treasured. I felt compelled to share this particular post, including with the almost 100 Winged Publications authors. The e-mail response has been great. Feel free to pass on to friends or include excerpts (or whatever) in your own blog. To God be the glory.