Monday, January 25, 2021

Blogging Brings Blessings #The Joy of Blogging #Benefits of Blogging

Want more in life? Consider blogging. I did. The amazing results. 

 The day after a good friend set up Reece's Ramblings on October 28, 2016, I first learned the joy of blogging. Seventy persons had already visited "I Am a Blogger," and read about my growing up in a small, close-knit community with folks who cared for one another. It was only the beginning. My 120 posts since then have garnered 18,000 visits. They now average 400-500 each month.

True Confessions

I never wanted to blog. I saw no need to blog. A former writing student pushed me into it. "It will change your life," she said. I'm just sorry I didn't listen to her months and years sooner and let her set me up.

 New Venture bring Blessings

Responses poured in from those who knew me as the school secretary in my hometown, although Mom and I had moved away in 1970. How thrilling to reconnect with cherished friends. As my posts continued, so did the excitement. Former college and senior center writing students contacted me. Those who had heard me speak years earlier at conferences.  Strangers wrote, thanking me for tips and tricks I learned during decades as a full-time author. Others appreciated the inspiration they derived from the positive, upbeat posts.  

More Benefits than Receiving Thanks.


1. Friends who suffer from writers' block that prevents them from creating stories and books can still write by sharing opinions, beautiful photos, and memories on blogs. 

2. Blogging keeps people updated. There is no way I can write hundreds of letters or emails to let others know how I am and what I am doing. A single blog post can.

3.  Messages can offer encouragement and hope. I never fail to feel humbled when I receive responses to my posts that say, "This came at a time in my life when I desperately needed to hear exactly what you said." We may never know how our words cheer those struggling on the rocky road of life, simply by letting them know they are not alone.

4. Blogging offers the opportunity to share what we have learned. Sometimes sayings handed down from ancestors are helpful, such as,

"If a job is first begun, Never leave it 'til it's done. Be the job, great or small. Do it well, or not at all."

Humorous. "'Everyone to his own taste,' said the old lady, as she kissed a cow."

Challenging. "Never stare at closed doors. Search for open windows." 

This became the basis of Doorways and Windowsills: Sunlight after Storms, an inspirational collection, written with co-author Julie Reece-DeMarco. In the midst of COVID, stories of those who overcame adversity offered hope and cheer to those paralyzed by circumstances they couldn't change.


 
 
 5. Writers want and need to be read. Blogging builds bridges between writers and readers and helps establish a corps of faithful followers
Verified Purchase

6 comments:

judy said...

Good to read your experiences with blogging. So happy it's a fit for you. Not for everyone, though!

Anonymous said...

You encouragement makes me want to start blogging again. Excuse: I can't seem to find the time, nor do I know how to conect to a blogging site. But I fondly remember some of the encouraging things I posted eons ago. Many blessings to you,Colleen.
Marge

Colleen L. Reece said...

You are right, Judy. Blogging is not for everyone. Marge, Google blogspot.com (it's what Susan set me up with)if you decide to get back in the game. The nice thing is--we can post when we feel like it.No deadlines. No pressure, except the feeling there are things that simply need to be said. Such as waking this morning and knowing I needed to write this particular post. Much of what I include is primarily to remind myself of what I need to keep in mind. GRIN.
Blessings to both of you, as well.
Colleen

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

What a great message, Colleen! I, too, was like you and wondered why blogging was so important and why so many people were doing it. I soon found out. Loved this post!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Linda. We may never know how many seeds of hope or encouragement may be planted through simple blog messages.

Patti Thomas said...

I like that your tips for writing are short and sweet. The words are well chosen and pertain only to the subject being presented. You are my kind of teacher.