Monday, January 6, 2020

Happy New Year #"A Creed"


A new year . . . a new decade

 Every year people celebrate the ending of an old year, the beginning if a new one. Some of us make resolutions. Others take stock. We all wonder what the coming year holds. What will be written on its blank pages? New opportunities? New challenges? 


Over 100 years ago, Edgar A. Guest wrote a poem simply titled "A Creed." 
Decades later, it became a song, popularized by several artists, 
including the Statler Brothers and Glen Campbell. 


Let me be a little kinder,
Let me be a little blinder
To the faults of those around me,
Let me praise a little more;
Let me be, when I am weary
Just a little bit more cheery,
Let me serve a little better
Those that I am striving for.

Let me be a little braver
When temptation bids me waver,
Let me strive a little harder
To be all that I should be;
Let me be a little meeker
With the brother that is weaker,
Let me think more of my neighbor
And a little less of me.

Let me be a little sweeter,
Make my life a bit completer
By doing what I should do
Every minute of the day;
Let me toil, without complaining,
Not a humble task disdaining,
Let me think more of my neighbor
And a little less of me.

* * *

What a wonderful world it would be if this became a universal New Year's resolution!

God bless and may 2020 be our best year ever.

Colleen

Road To Nowhere








."

7 comments:

judy said...

Thanks, Colleen! Love the layout and road photo, too. Happy 2020 to all.

Dace Pedecis said...

Thanks, Colleen. Nicely done. Attractive photo. Happy New Year.

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

What a wonderful poem! Edgar A. Guest was one of my mother's favorite poets. Thank you for sharing.

Colleen L. Reece said...

I appreciate your comments, Judy, Dace, and Linda. Edgar A. Guest is wonderful.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful poem. Great advice for every day in the coming year (and years to come!)

Renee Riva said...

Happy New Year!
I remember that song well--many moons,ago.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Sandy and Renee. A good reminder of what is really important.