Sunday, September 6, 2020

Fear Not #Overcoming Fear

Having trouble driving out fear in the midst of the present crisis? Consider this.

According to an ancient legend, an old man met Pestilence when it drew near a certain city. 
"How many lives will you take?" the old man asked. 

Pestilence named a number.

When Pestilence had done its worst,  the old man accosted it as it left the city. "You said you would only take _____ many lives," he cried. "Instead, you took ten, nay, a hundred times that many!"

"Not so," Pestilence said. "I took what I promised. Fear took the rest."

* * *

Fear is one of life's most insidious enemies. It sneaks up on us when we are least expecting it, silently does its work, and leaves us emotionally crippled. We cannot keep fear from coming, any more than we can keep birds from flying over our heads. We can, however, refuse to allow them to take up permanent residence there. Fear should be treated the same. It may not be easy, but the alternative is living in perpetual dread of what is happening, or what may happen.

Franklin D. Roosevelt in the midst of the Great Depression encouragad Americans:



* * *

One of my favorite scenes from the story Pollyanna, is when she tells the minister that the Bible has over 600 "happy" texts, such as "Rejoice and be glad." She adds that her father taught her it had to be important for it to be there so many times.

I haven't counted the verses. I also haven't counted how often the Bible tells us not to be afraid, but according to those who have:




I have no magic formula to erase fear from my life. I do, however, rely on teachings instilled in me in childhood. 

1. Consider and face the very worst thing that can happen.
2. Refuse to dwell on it ahead of time, agonizing over what may never take place.
3. Think of the best possible outcome.
4. Accept that whatever comes is part of life and move on as quickly as possible. Fill my mind and life with positive thoughts and actions.
5 Tune out gloom and doom. Take one day at a time.
6. Take control of those things I can control, decisions as small as deciding what time to get up. what to eat and when, which outfit to put on so the gal in the mirror looks cheerful, when and where to take my daily walk.
7. Encourage those facing harder struggles than mine. 

One of my favorite anonymous sayings is: 



Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered... - Daily Effective Prayer |  Facebook\

My prayer for you is that you may be given strength to overcome fear and find joy, peace, love, and moments of happiness even in these uncertain days.



Isaiah 41:10: Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.


3 comments:

judy said...

Timely encouragement, Colleen. Thank you.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Thank you for your wise words of encouragement, Colleen.

Colleen L. Reece said...

As I mentioned, and is the case with much of our writing, if we write what we ourselves need to hear, it can often be of value to others.

Would you believe I now have had well over 15,000 visits. Not to compare with Susan's
almost 2 million, but not bad for--I think it is 3 years, maybe 4.