Sunday, September 13, 2020

Recipe for Reaching Readers #Blogging Benefits #Marketing #Writing to Inspire and Entertain

 Want to reach readers the easy way? Read on.

  
Four years ago, a marketing expert author friend set me up with a blog. I wondered if anyone would read it. A few days later, I discovered that 70 persons had visited the site.
 
Reece's Ramblings has now had almost 16,000 visits--over 300 last month alone. People are reading what I have to say. Teasers appear on my Amazon Author Page. 
 
The benefits of blogging are numerous.
 
When the pandemic struck, man found it difficult to concentrate on writing. Creating short, inspirational blog posts help others and ourselves. The response to my recent post on overcoming fear confirms the crying need for encouragement.
 
An article reminiscing about my many years as school secretary in my home town of Darrington, Washington, brought a flood of comments from old friends. Many came from student office girls in a program I created in the 1960s. What joy to reconnect with those young women who went on to use the skills learned in high school throughout their careers and lives.
 
Another "looking back" post concerned the success of our small, but scrappy basketball team's phenomenal success (winning tournaments) and brought a wave of special memories. Such as the swish of the basketball through the net as the final buzzer sounded that won the Darrington Loggers yet another state tournament.
 
 

Tips, tricks and shortcuts I learned during my 40+ years as a full-time author (as well as countless mistakes--ouch) help struggling writers "keep on keeping on." . A former logger's daughter from a town that grew trees, not authors, I held fast my dream--although only getting serious about writing at age 40.* This offers an example in persistence to those who are discouraged and ready to give up. Some have gone on to find a pot of gold at the end of their rainbow.  
 

The beauty of blogging? Freedom to choose

  • We are free to write what we wish. No editorial restrictions except those we  impose on ourselves.
  • We can include memories, current events, opinions, significant quotes, helpful advice, humor, inspiration, and a gazillion other things.
  • We can feature others. I periodically interview fellow authors.
  • We can target a specific audience, such as children, families, writers, business persons, or present a wide variety of material from many genres. (I do.)
  •  We can illustrate with book covers and free illustrations. 
  • Blogging connects us with others. This is especially important while we are grounded. First, COVID-19, now dangerous air quality from fires spewing smoke across the miles require us to remain inside. 
  * * *
 
If you don't have a blog, consider creating one. Choose a title that identifies contents, and an attractive illustration. Reece's Ramblings promises a kaleidoscope of posts. The photo is of White Horse Mountain near Darrington. The scripture reflects my faith in God and love for His Creation. The plaid shirt and baseball cap indicate simplicity.
 
Some consider blogging a chore or too time-consuming. I  consider it a way to help make this sometimes-crazy world a little better place by encouraging others. 

Lamplight to Limelight by [Colleen L. Reece]

   *Story of writing career appears in recently issued Lamplight to Limelight: Journey of Joy. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

judy said...

So glad blogging has brought you such joy--and an expanding audience!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I enjoy blogging, too, Colleen. It's a great way to communicate with readers, other writers, friends, and family, plus it keeps us writing. That's all good! I'm delighted that your blog has been a success and fun for you. I enjoy reading it.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks for comments, Judy and Sandy. I never dreamed that blogging could bring so much happiness to me and help to others!

Cheryl said...

I've loved blogging for the last thirteen years. Thanks for sharing the benefits.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Wow. Thirteen years. I was such a late starter. Wish I'd gotten on board years ago, but, as the old adage says, better late than never. Smile.