Sunday, February 3, 2019

Love is Forever #Writing Romance Novels #Valentine's Day #


Want to write and sell romance novels? Read on . . .

 

Valentine's Day

Construction paper valentines. Candy hearts. Lace-paper frills. Shiny boxes of chocolates tied with ribbon. Flowers.  Smiling neighborhood children ringing doorbells and holding out painstakingly-made valentines. Memories to treasure.

There is Always Love

 Emilie (Baker) Loring, born in 1866, continues to be my all-time favorite romance/mystery author. Her books taught me the art of writing from the heart. Emilie began writing in 1914 at  age 50. Her first book The Trail of Conflict, was published in the early 1920s, followed by 49 others. She left so much unfinished material that her sons published 20 ghost-written books after her death in 1951. (I have all the titles, but prefer those that came out before the 1960s. They are more vintage Loring.)

Unforgettable heroines who became role models when I was a teen, heroes worth falling in love with, settings I longed to visit, intriguing mysteries, twists and surprises that kept me off-guard,  life-changing problems, believable solutions, and high ideals. Compelling writing that made books memorable. Everything I wanted in a romance novel. When I stated writing romances, I determined to follow the pattern Emilie set. I did. And do. Passages from her oft-read books are indelibly stamped on my mind, particularly from There is Always Love, 1940.

"There is only one common-sense move when you don't like your life. Do something about it. Get out. Go somewhere. Follow a rainbow. Who knows, you may find the legendary pot of gold at the end of it."



Ruth's advice and example for the heroine was significant when I felt called to walk off my government joy in 1977 with no guarantee for success. I did follow the rainbow. I didn't find the pot of gold, but all I needed, including the wealth of happiness. I also appreciate a scene later in the novel.everything I needed,

Mrs. Bourne turned the pages and nodded approval. "It looks interesting. I'm like Alice in Wonderland. I like plenty of conversation. Is it a love story?"

"Yes. I like them. They are based on an invincible truth. The world may be convulsed with war and hate; the earth may tremble from the onward march of army tanks and heavy guns; our economic condition may boil violently; empires may rise and fall, yet there is always love. Love between husband and wife; between parent and child; between friends, between boy and girl; love for the Church."

Romance  Novel Market: Thriving

 Publishers seek fresh, well-written romance novels to satisfy their demanding readership. Historical to contemporary. Inspirational and Christian to provocative. Love stories enhanced with mystery, family issues, world conditions. There are never too many romances--but in today's competitive market, each must have an edge. But before you dash off a book you feel is "just as good as" what is already out there, consider this.

1. I read Avalon nurse/career romances as a teen in the 1950s. But when I wanted to write for them in the mid-1970s, I checked out 30 recent titles to learn their style.

2. I asked myself, "How will what I want to write match their line? More importantly, what makes my book unique? Why should the editor choose The Heritage of Nurse O'Hara instead of dozens of others? Ditto for readers."

3. Back to what worked for Emilie Loring. An unforgettable heroine who could become a role model: a troubled nurse. A hero I could fall in love with: a doctor devoted to service in a remote place. A setting I had visited many times. An intriguing mystery with some twists and surprises that could shatter my heroine's life.  A life-changing problem. A  believable solution. High ideals, for which Avalon was noted.

Write From the Heart


The novel sold on the first time out on the basis of a single chapter I submitted (cringe). Something I never should have done and would never do again. I adhered to my "mentor" Emilie's pattern of writing. A high percentage of my 150+ "Books that Inspire/Entertain" are romances. Not mushy but based on love described in First  Corinthians, Chapter 13, New King James Version.

 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails . . . And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

* * *

Happy Valentine's Day and happy writing,


Colleen 

Among my favorite romances



Love and adventure in the Old West. 2 complete novels in each. volume. And Nurses find love in a Seattle Hospital. 


 









 



 




9 comments:

Dace Pedecis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love this post very much. I liked the quote about how when the world falls apart, there is always love.
I liked the writing tips for writing romances and hope I remember to write romance with high ideals and to not cave to other types.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Lovely post, Colleen, with lots of good advice (as usual!) I've never read Emilie Loring's books, but I'm sure I'd enjoy them. Thanks for introducing me to that author.

judy said...

I'm not a romance reader, but it's certainly an appropriate topic for this month! As always, you've done a really nice job of sharing your experience, your influences and your values. Happy V-Day!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, KaYla, Sandy, Judy. I love blogging!

Dace Pedecis said...

This is a very good post, Colleen! Inspiring. Just right for Valentine's Day. I, too, read Emilie Loring's books when I was a teen. You make me want to read them again.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Dace. Hers is the only set of books I have in a special bookcase in my bedroom. Like having old friends visiting!

Brenda Wilbee said...

Loved the insight into your inspiration!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Brenda. It is so neat to pass on what others graciously taught me. SMILE