Saturday, February 9, 2019

Neighbors Inspire Great Characters #Characterization #Snowbound

Want to bring your characters alive? Read on. 

Saturday, February 9, 2019, 10:55 a.m

Shades of my hometown, Darrington, Washington.

Back in "the good (?) old days," we sometimes got snow the end of October and didn't see bare ground again until April. One year the logging companies had to bring their equipment and clear the ball field so spring baseball practice could start. 

Now, 48 years after leaving the house shown at the right, I look out the window into several inches of rare-to-Auburn, Washington snow. It's cold, and has been for a week or so. Forget Punxutawney Phil. Algernon, or whatever our Auburn, Washington ground hog's name is, did a number on us. He (she?) evidently popped out of his (her?) cozy dwelling-place, saw his (her?) shadow, said, "Phooey," and headed back into hibernation.

So what does snow and ice have to do with creating great characters? Sometimes we meet unsung heroes, in their own quiet ways. Angels in disguise, bundled until they look like abominable snowmen, women, or children. Winter weather that slows civilization often brings out the best in people.

Image result for google images, free clipart, tractor with snow plowMy fellow Darringtonites cared for their own. The hale and hearty shoveled walks and dug out those trapped by huge snow drifts and unable to help themselves. Our family, lived three miles out of town and often heard the rumbling, grumbling sound of a powerful machine. After the first few times, we smiled and said, "Oh, it's Dave." Sure enough, there was our across-the-road neighbor perched atop his tractor with snowplow attached, Grinning and waving, he cleared our good-sized driveway and left huge snow banks on both sides.

Not Just in My Hometown

 Memorial Day weekend 2018 marked my fortieth year in my present cul-de-sac home. I walk--a lot--and get to know my neighbors. They provide material for characters in my books. The past few days again show that small-town good deeds are not just found in villages and hamlets.

Last Monday when we awakened to snow, a parade of people began appearing at my door. First, two little girls carrying snow shovels, slipping and sliding in mid-20's weather. I thanked them for coming, but said, "I don't think you can shovel the driveway. It's solid ice." Abigail, the youngest girl, shook her head. "We didn't come to shovel. Mommy sent us to find out if you are okay and need anything." It was all I could do to hold back tears, thank them, and rejoice over having such caring neighbors.

Yesterday when there was a break in the weather, a teen boy rang my doorbell. "I have extra salt," he said. "Do you want me to put it on your driveway?" I offered to pay him but he just smiled, shook his head, and started spreading salt crystals. Next came Adam from a few houses away. He gave me his phone number and assured me that he and his family were there for me any time, for any reason.

The snow continued most of the afternoon. Just after dark Kristine from across the street called, wanting to know if I had a snow shovel. I told her I had two, She said, "The guys will be right over." I had planned to shovel the 2-3" today but here came Mark and Adam. They grabbed my shovels and got the job done. A good thing. It snowed another 3-4" overnight and the temperature plummeted.

A few minutes ago, the doorbell interrupted this writing. Retired couple Jerry and Kerry from the top of the hill had braved the extreme cold and icy road to check on me. I don't know them well, just through waves, and one or two significant chats with Jerry last fall. I hadn't even met Kerry. Yet they came.

Each of these persons have a place in my heart. They may also someday find a place in my stories. All looked beyond their own inconvenience from the snow to make sure I was okay. In the story of the Good Samaritan, a man asked Jesus, "Who is my neighbor?" Now, as back then, true neighbors are those who show love and compassion for others.
Related image
The smiles, brief visits during walks, my joy when the Halloween trick-or-treaters come, and waving at persons of all ages through my living room window the way my mother used to do, have brought rich rewards. I thank God for putting me in a "new hometown," and giving me more wonderful neighbors. 


Stay warm, everyone. This, too, shall pass. In the meantime, kids are out sledding in the streets. Too cold for me, but I will be waving from my window . . . .

Colleen

 


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post.
I have great neighbors like yours.
God sees that we're taken care of.
Love,
Birdie

Sandra Nachlinger said...

We're so lucky to have good neighbors, aren't we? I know your neighbors look after you because you're always so friendly to them--smiling, greeting them as you go on your walks, stopping to have a chat.
Thank you for sharing their kindness.
By the way, I'm blogging today with snow photos from my neighborhood here:
https://sandranachlinger.blogspot.com/2019/02/snow-days-saturdaysnapshot.html

judy said...

Lovely, uplifting post, Colleen. So glad for wonderful neighbors everywhere!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, all. People come and go, but good neighbors are to be treasured.

Dace Pedecis said...

It's grand to have such wonderful, caring neighbors. A lovely, heart-warming post. Thanks, Colleen!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful, heartwarming story.

Unknown said...

Your blog was shared by a mutual friend still living out on the Sauk Prairie. I enjoyed reading it with fond memories of my own 50+ years on the Prairie and the men who would get up early, warm up their equipment and go to work helping their neighbors. 😊

Unknown said...

I loved reading your blog today, one of your office girls from sauk Prairie shared it and townie office girl got to read it. Thought of you often over the years, your smile and laugh always there. Good to see you found another "home town" with neighbors to keep watch over you. Much love to you Colleen. Darrington home growns love you still.

Renee Riva said...

Thanks for sharing your stories of real life and kind people. It reminded me to check on a few of my own neighbors.
Stay warm. I'll be reading my way through the storm! :)

Colleen L. Reece said...

Great, Renee. Those of us who are well supplied with good books are indeed blessed!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Judy, how nice to hear from you! I suspect it was Patsy Adams Cloer who passed on the news. What a terrific thing to know i am still remembered. Hard to believe I moved from Darrington in 1970! I remember Esther Wright saying,"No one ever really leaves Darrington. Some just go away." I am one of those.

My student office girls were always very dear to my heart. It saddened me that after I was no longer working at the High School but full time for the Superintendent, the new secretary felt the program was too much bother and it was discontinued. It actually was really valuable. So many of you gals went on to use not only the learning of skills, but to share the close bonds of friendship formed through our daily association. God bless you and thanks again for writing. A heart-warming happening on a snowy day.

And stay warm! We had 7-8 inches of snow but I can imagine what Darringtin had.

Unknown said...

We only had about 8-9 inches, but more is due tomorrow. No longer the snows of when we were all young. It was Patsy who posted your blog link so all of us could see it. Many are commenting on both you and your sweet mother impacted their lives. I was gone for 21 years and returned "home" in 2005 to stay. Good to see you doing so well. Love your smile.

Colleen L. Reece said...

This is so fun. I just heard from Kathleen Koop and Mignonne Louaillier who Mom taught). Glad Patsy is sharing! She's a sweetheart and distant cousin.

Iris said...

Thanks for the memories of our home in the Cascades. So glad you are well taken care of. Love reading your work. Once again I am snowbound so will rely on one of your stories to read to my granddaughter in lieu of going to church. Sure I can slide out but not sure I can get back up the hill unless it is plowed. Keep on writing! Love, Iris

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks for comment, Iris. So many wonderful memories! I am hearing from a lot of old-time friends. Love it!

check this said...

Simple, clean and informative.... Thanks