Sunday, October 13, 2019

"Short-cut" to Getting Published #Short Stories

Image result for google images, free clipart, short storiesWant to be published but no time to write a book? Read on.

An author friend with an impressive number of published novels recently sent me this e-message.

"I have a request. Could you please post some ideas on your blog about how to write short stories and the rules for them? I have retired and will be 70 in October. I realized that I have never tried to write short stories. I think it might be fun to learn." 

Here you are, Linda 😊

Bread and butter with a smattering of jam

Image result for google images, free clipart, bread and jam
I walked off a good-paying government job in 1978 feeling I could help make the world a better place by writing inspirational books and stories. I found a publisher that liked my novels but was low paying and would only take 2-3 a year--certainly not enough to support me. The answer was to "think short" and supplement my book royalties by selling as many short stories and articles as possible.

At the time, many denominational and inter-denominational magazines were open to free lance submissions. A high percentage only asked for one-time rights--as long as submissions were made to non-competing audiences. Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Church of God, etc. members wouldn't be reading other churches' monthly or weekly issues so multiple submissions were acceptable. At one time I was keeping as many as 70 copies out, which represented less than a dozen original short pieces. Unfortunately, many such magazines have folded. 


Image result for google images, free clipart, coinsPayment ranged from a penny to a dollar a word, depending on the size of the periodical. Five to ten cents was typical. Although it doesn't sound like much, when you multiple by five or ten or twenty-some sales, it becomes a tidy sum.
1000 words x 10 cents + $100. 

Short stories can be true, fictional, or faction (fictionalized versions of true experiences). 

 "My First 'Store-Boughten' Christmas,"* ©1978, sold more than twenty times and appeared in anthologies.  This timeless, heart-warming story from my childhood most recently appeared in Northwest Prime Time. Here is the condensed version.


All my Christmases are special, yet the one I remember best is my first ‘store-boughten’ Christmas

I was born in Darrington, Washington in 1935. Money was scarce. My two brothers and I made simple gifts for one another and our parents. Gas rationing ended after World War II. Our family was able to go on a shopping trip instead of relying on hand-made gifts or mail orders.

My fingers curled inside my shabby mittens.  My heart pounded. The tall buildings I gaped at on our rare visits to Everett, fifty miles from the tiny town where I was born, lost their charm. Thee five-and-dime stores in the same block beckoned me.
Image result for google images, free clipart, Christmas presentMy sweaty hands clutched a fortune. Four quarters to purchase gifts for my family. It had taken weeks of washing windows and scrubbing cupboards to save a whole dollar, but the excitement of giving ‘store-boughten’ gifts removed the temptation to spend money on myself.
I wandered the glittering aisles of the first five-and-dime. Mom’s gift proved easy, the first artificial Christmas corsage I’d seen. I looked at the price and inwardly cheered. Four quarters divided by four gifts meant twenty-five cents each, the price of the corsage.                               
I don’t remember what I found for my older brother, but it also cost a quarter. I laughed. I’d only gone through each of the stores once, but after two hours, half my shopping was done.
I rounded a corner. A monkey bank with friendly painted grin, blue pants and a red jacket greeted me. The jaunty creature tipped his hat when the clerk dropped in a penny. The perfect gift for my little brother Randy.
I looked at the tag. Gulped. Twenty-nine cents.
I can’t remember a more bitter childhood disappointment. I never considered asking my folks for four pennies. Money was still scarce. Fighting tears, I went back through the other stores, wishing I’d never seen the monkey bank.
Did God in His mercy have compassion on a heartbroken child? Did He guide my dragging footsteps into a different aisle and cause me to glance up? I don’t know. Just that through my misery I spied a collection of bandannas like the ones Dad used for handkerchiefs in his woods work.
A sign above the display read: Bandannas. Twenty-one cents.
“May I help you?” the clerk asked.
“A-a n-navy blue b-bandanna, please,” I stuttered. I gave her my third precious quarter. She counted out the change. I raced back to the other store, pursued by fear. What if the monkey bank had been sold? Relief left me weak when the same monkey-face smiled at me. I counted out the last of my silver hoard—and four dull pennies.
Christmas came. My parents and brothers loved their gifts from me—Randy most of all. Relatives gave him a few pennies. He laughed and clapped his hands each time the monkey tipped his hat. I can’t remember what I received, just the joy in my family’s faces and how glad and proud I felt. I had given a dollar— everything I had—but received a wealth of happiness.    
Now, more than seventy years later, my immediate family members have been called home to Heaven. Yet every time I see a snowflake or go Christmas shopping, I relive the day when my childish heart broke. I still picture my tear-stained self wandering up a previously unexplored aisle and discovered the display of twenty-one-cent bandannas.
Two thousand years ago, Wise Men brought their best gifts to Bethlehem. Despite obstacles, they kept their gaze fixed on the star God provided and reached their goal.
On my first ‘store-boughten’ Christmas I understood how they felt. There was no star above the display of bandannas in the five-and-dime store. But who is to say that our loving Heavenly Father did not guide my stumbling steps even as He led the Magi . . . and restore joy to a broken-hearted little girl?

* * *
THE ANATOMY OF A SHORT STORY
from author's Writing Smarter, not Harder, The Workbook Way ©1995

  The key is 3:                           Short stories start with:
(for Novels, too)                       an interesting individual
                                                   an inspiring setting, or
                                                   an intriguing incident

They present 3 Cs                          They contain:                    A good breakdown
a strong character               an appealing beginning             1/3 hook*
in meaningful conflict          an attention-holding middle     1/3 hold**
resulting in change              a satisfying ending                    1/3 highlights***

    *HOOK introduces character(s); sets stage; plunges into problem
 
  **HOLD develops characters; makes situation worse; shows little/no hope

***HIGHLIGHTS presents crisis (black moment when all seems lost and
          the problem must be faced); lead character’s choice; conclusion                             showing how character changed because of that choice.

Adding a twist (some kind of surprise) to ending is a real plus.

Applying 3 Cs to "My First Store-Boughten' Christmas


Hook: Introduces me and my family,shows lack of money, need to buy four presents with the four hard-earned quarters in my sweaty hand.


Hold: Focuses on disappointment when I was four pennies short of brother's gift. 

Highlights: Christmas wouldn't be the same. Looked for substitute gift. Heart-broken. Conclusion: Wrapping up story and what surprised ending did for me.

Twist:  What actually happened and was beyond my wildest expectations.

 * * *

* There are still markets for short stories, from prestigious to small. Woman's World takes short mysteries and romances, as well as material for their columns such as Circle of Kindness (two of my former writing students and I recently sold to them). Check out their website for submission guidelines. https://www.womansworld.com/p/contact

Don't sell short the idea of "thinking short." in addition to income, each sale adds another credit to your resume`.   😊




5 comments:

judy said...

Outstanding post, Colleen. So practical and uplifting. Thanks for sharing your personal example as well. Blessings.

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

Wow! What a wonderful article. Thank you so much. I'm going to put this advice to use now. I'm excited to try out short stories now.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Glad you like--Judy and Linda. Straight from the workbook I created and taught from for so long.

Kayla James said...

Will you be publishing more excerpts of Workbook Way? I am afraid I haven’t written any to supplement my income. I have depended on only books, but that can be exhausting.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Short items do bring in money, Kayla. And using our own experiences and the experiences of friends means not having to do a lot of research.