Sunday, November 10, 2019

Counting My Blessings #Giving Thanks#Thankgiving#Reflections

A Time to Reflect

 Several years ago a dear friend gave me a kneeling Beanie Baby bear, paws clasped in prayer. A few Christmases ago my niece gave me a soft angel doll, holding a bag marked "Blessings." Both are in my living room. They remind me of how blessed I am. And how thankful.

The old hymn, "Count Your Blessings" is another reminder.

When upon life billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged thinking all is lost.
Count your many blessings, name them one by one
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done. 

I love fall. School routines, old-fashioned cake donuts, apple juice, hot soup, and leaves. This year's display surpassed any season I remember with spectacular crimson, scarlet, lemon yellow, pumpkin orange and harvest-moon gold leaves. I have 7 more 32-gallon containers raked and collected for pickup tomorrow, bringing my total to between 15-20.
I am thankful that at 84 years of age I can still do this. My mother set a precedent. She lived to be almost 96 and each fall, still raked leaves into piles for me to pick up!

Image result for google images, free clipart, autumn leaves Thinking of this gargantuan task inspired (?) this poem.


 “Ode to Autumn"
     Sing to tune of "Danny Boy"
                                                                                   
 "Oh, my dear friends, the leaves, the leaves are calling,
  From my back yard and some in front and side,
  They shift and rustle every time the wind blows,
  To lure me into joining them outside.
     
But all too soon the wonder of their color
Will only be a pleasant memory,
Of many cans that hauled away their beauty
And left my lawn so barren and leaf-free."

Some things I am thankful for:

 

Books and the gift of laughter. Raised in a home without running water or electricity, our family relied on laughter to get us through hard times. And books. Seldom did a birthday or Christmas come without at least one of us receiving a book. I still have and read my Louisa Mae Alcott titles, the Five Little Peppers, my Cherry Ames, Penny Marsh, Sue Barton nurse stories, and many more. Once I enjoyed them by kerosene lamplight near a wood heater. Now I visit my book friends from the comfort of a recliner, warmed by electric baseboard heat. 

Health and strength. I cannot do everything I once did, but am grateful for the many things I can do. Example: I still mow my lawn (with a 14" cordless electric mower) but don't climb ladders to change light bulbs that I can't reach from the floor!

My home. I have lived in my modest, ranch-style house for 41 years. I have no costly possessions. My house is furnished with love. Wall plaques, angel statues, sun catchers, throws, and many other gifts from family and friends make my home warm, cozy, and peaceful.

My cul-de-sac neighbors. They are there when I need them. I am thankful for the 60+ trick-or-treaters a few weeks ago. Halloween gives me another chance to visit with kids and parents. I am also thankful for the seven-year-old, red-haired boy who brought me a two-bite cupcake the next day. And for one of my most-cherished compliments. I once thanked a group of teens for coming. As they left, I heard one boy mutter, "She's nice!" What a rich reward for a candy bar and a smile. 

My family and friends, those present and the many who have gone on ahead and wait for me to come when my work here on earth is done.

The privilege of bringing joy into others' lives. Sometimes a smile. Sometimes a helping hand. Sometimes an email, or encouraging word. Quite often, simply a listening ear.

Most of all, I am glad for God, my Heavenly Father, and Jesus, my Best Friend. I was recently asked if I ever got lonely. I replied, "Not often. When I do, I always have Someone to whom I can turn." 

A Thanksgiving Prayer for You

 

 "Dear Lord, please be with all who read this post. I pray that You will comfort and strengthen those who are in the midst of turmoil. Wrap them in Your great love and give them peace. Thank You in Jesus' name, Amen."

 Image result for Public domain Christian ClipArt


10 comments:

judy said...

What a lovely, cozy post, Colleen. Thanks for being your own special, inspirational self, and for reminding us how much we all have to be thankful for. Blessings on your holiday, and always.

Colleen L. Reece said...

I appreciate your remarks, Judy.I awoke this morning with these thoughts running through my head and rushed to the computer to get them down before they flitted away like, well, like autumn leaves in the wind. GRIN. In this world of ups and downs, literally, we need to take time to stop, look, and wonder. I walked about 45 minutes just now and saw two of the five bunny rabbits that live in our neighborhood. These were the tan and white ones. There are three black. Unafraid and cute. No wind, just cool moist air on my face. I am glad I went.

Renee Riva said...

I loved your post and Ode to Autumn poem....especially while singing to the tune of Danny Boy. It reminded me of being in Ireland a few years back. I used my tour itinerary to write AJ's Ireland (with a few fun embellishments--like staying in an old castle). You always encouraged me to write a sequel to my Saving Sailor Trilogy so I wrote a prequel instead. Happy Thanksgiving to my favorite writing teacher ever!

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

Love your post. Count your blessings is one of my favorite hymns, too. Happy Thanksgiving!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks for commenting, Renee and Linda. Renee, I love your Saving Sailor trilogy and the prequel, AJ's Ireland and I go back and read the books. You were/are one of my top students ever!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I love your poem. Congratulations on getting all your leaves bagged. That must have been quite a task!

Colleen L. Reece said...

I wrote the poem when I was feeling silly. Did another huge container today--almost done for this year. So glad for good weather most of the time. Also ran mower in the back. Enjoying big round moon out my window.

judy said...

Something else to be thankful for, Colleen: KC posted on the GAP site that LB is out of ICU, in her own room, sitting up and doing well overall (:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your blog, Colleen. It brought back many memories of you with your gentle smile and beautiful heart. I actually heard your voice coming through and pictured you as you read this poem. You have touched many lives, including mine. So glad that I got to be an office aide when you were our secretary! Dorothy Larsen

Colleen L. Reece said...

How wonderful to hear from you, Dorothy! Yes, we had some great times--among my most special memories. I was so sorry that after I went to work full time for the Superintendent the office girl program was dropped. Sad. That was one of the best parts of working as school secretary for me. Do tell Sylvia hello for me. I remember you gals and am thankful I was able to work with you. Patsy Adams Cloer is about the only one I keep in touch with now and just once in awhile.

Are you still in Darrington? I remember what Esther Wright once told me. "No one ever really leaves Darrington. Some just go away." I am one of them. It will always hold part of me--and it played such a big part in my writing. The way of life, the caring people, the basketball games, unforgettable and the foundation on which so many of my novels are based.Thanks again for commenting. Fond memories, Colleen