Sunday, November 22, 2020

Keeping the Thanks in Thanksgiving #Counting Blessings # "Good-bye, Grinch"

The Grinch attempted to steal Christmas. He failed. His victims refused to let him spoil the holiday. 

Author Colleen L. Reece refuses to let COVID spoil her holidays by focusing on the good in life and encouraging others to do the same.

 Colleen's story

 The pandemic paralyzed the world. It robbed us of feeling we were in control. After months of isolation, many remain depressed. The desire to spend the holidays with families and friends battles the need for common sense practices. 

Until this year, our family has always gotten together. I will miss everyone. But--I will not let the thanks be taken out of Thanksgiving. In spite of being grounded, there are things I can control. So, I plan to follow the advice in a hymn.

 "Count Your Blessings"

               😞

"When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed,

When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost.

Count your many blessings, name them one by one,

And it will surprise you what the Lord has done."

            😊

 I am thankful for enough things to fill a book. Here are some of the current ones.

  • a gift bouquet of yellow chrysanthemums on the table inside my living room window so those passing by can also enjoy
  • a small girl distributing large sacks and collecting food for the needy
  • a college student who helps with yard work that has become too hard for me
  • neighbors who care and watch out for me
  • Safeway delivery persons who bring my grocery orders
  • ditto for Amazon
  • my wonderful mail carrier
  • a loving family, even though I don't get to see them often
  • social distance visits from friends bundled up and sitting in my driveway, or if raining, in my garage,
  • energy at age 85 to keep house reasonably clean and rake a gazillion downed maple leaves 🍁🍁🍁
  • interest enough in cooking to make sure I eat right
  • book projects to keep me writing for a long time
  • shelves of favorite books, many from childhood and growing-up-years; old friends offering the opportunity to visit characters and settings
  • e-mail!

Best of all, knowing I am never alone. 

Hebrews 13:5 promises, ". . . be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."

On Thanksgiving Day, I will bow my head, thank God for my Stouffer's turkey/stuffing/mashed potatoes/gravy dinner, cranberries, and pumpkin pudding. Then I will gratefully  and confidently look forward to the time when I can once again celebrate with my family. 

God bless,

Colleen

and

 

 


7 comments:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I'm thankful to be among your "driveway buddies," even when the weather is cold and drizzly. Your friendship warms my heart.

Kelly S. said...

Love this, Colleen, and love you. This is such a hard time, but I’m focusing on the blessings and good things , too.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Sandy and Kelly. Too often we don't let others know how we feel and how much we appreciate them. I am trying to do more of that. SMILE.

judy said...

The grinch often enough steals my peace of mind. So many of us could contribute to a story titled "The Grinch Who Would Be King." Good to see your determination to keep him at bay.

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Judy--as you said, it is a constant fight!

Unknown said...

I am so happy I found this blog! I have been reading your books for many years and really enjoy them. Your blog is so encouraging spiritually. I enjoy writing on a very small level for my own pleasure, but what you write on your blog is a good reminder that God is constantly there whether we are writing as a career or just living our lives. Thank you so much for your consistent Christian life and encouraging words. I just mentioned to my husband this evening that so few write encouraging things during this time (2020) then I thought of your blog. It did not disappoint! Thank you!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Dear "Unknown,"
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your kind words. A few years ago when a dear friend and former writing student set me up with the blog, I had no idea how far-reaching the results would be. God has truly blessed this means of spreading encouragement and inspiration, plus sharing stories of His goodness. Especially now, during this difficult time, when hope is so needed. May God bless you and yours with peace and joy this Christmas season as we once again celebrate His coming.
In Him, Colleen