Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Writing When You Feel You Can't #Losing Yourself in a Book #Christmas Gifts

Paralyzed by Circumstances? Grit your teeth and write. I did. And do. 


Like most of my author friends in March 2020, news of COVID left me stunned and barely able to keep myself clean and fed. At high risk because of age, the ability to write had vanished from being grounded except for walks around my neighborhood. 
 
Something had to change--and fast. One day I gathered my remnants of courage and forced myself to pull up the in-progress book manuscript lying dormant in my computer. I quoted Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me," and added, "If ever I need strength, it is now." The same prayer I had offered  after cancer surgery seven years earlier while struggling to walk a few blocks uphill in order to regain stamina.
 
I opened the file. Scanned a page. Then another. It shattered the fear I could no longer write. Project after project followed. Between April 1 and November 30, Winged Publications issued nine more titles for me, with a tenth submitted and due out soon.* Best of all, concentrating on my writing and refusing to watch doom-and-gloom newscasts, has been a God-send; saving sanity, and restoring peace amidst turmoil. encouraged by my example, writer friends have also been able to get back writing; some are selling again.
 
Need Christmas gifts? Flowers fade. Candy disappears. Books last.
 
 
You may want to consider the following. Inspiration/ entertainment for all ages. 
 
A Family in Danger. Based on the true story of parents who took their out--of-control kids to the wilderness for a year. No running water, electricity, etc. Just home school, hard work and no close neighbors.

Best Friends ForeverPat Kelly promises to "give God another chance" if He brings her best friend back from the desert "concentration camp" where "Mike" and her family have spent the World War II years. He does, but the girls' troubles are not over.

Countdown to Christmas. Stories and family activities to enhance Advent.
 
Doorways and Windowsills. Don't stare at closed doors. Search for open windows." Inspiring stories of those who did. 
 
Lamplight to Limelight. Author's journey from logger's daughter to best-selling author.  

The Remembrance Book. True stories of author's exciting childhood growing up near a small logging town and family trips through the western United States.
 
Storm Clouds Over Chantel.  Cherished Romances #5. A runaway bride seeks refuge in frontier Montana and finds more than she expects. .
 
Sunday Suspicion. The long-awaited finale (#7) to YA Juli Scott Mystery series.
 
Walking with the Master: Celebrating His Presence. God has provided for and protected author since early childhood, often in miraculous ways.
 


        

 

  

 

* Just completed and submitted. Due out very soon.

 A Vow to Cherish. Cherished Romances #6. Betrayed by fiancee and best friend, Dr. Edward Lucas seeks peace in a tiny backwoods North Carolina mountain hamlet. He  vows to never again practice medicine. Yet how can he deny helping the courageous, crippled girl who risks her reputation and saves his life? Dr.Luke is Cherish's only hope for freedom from her cruel step-father. But interfering means incurring the enmity of both Jed Hathaway and  the Widder Black, who kills more patients wit her potions than she cures.. 


 Happy reading!

Colleen

 Author page

5 comments:

Kelly S. said...

A tough year for sure, but you’ve taken a great approach, and have certainly been very busy!

judy said...

Good, "gritty" inspiration!

Colleen L. Reece said...

Thanks, Kelly and Judy. When we reach rock bottom, there's nowhere left to go but up! 2021 is coming up fast and hopefully, will be better.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

You're amazing, Colleen. Thanks for the inspiring post.

Colleen L. Reece said...

I appreciate your leaving comments, Sandy Thanks! Minor correction--GRIN. God is amazing. I am just very grateful. Big smile.